Discipline Committee Minutes from September 5, 2013
DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
Lisle Senior High School
September 5, 2013
Facilitating Members: Nathan Bylsma, Michelle Wallenberg, Mark Cunningham,
Members Present: S McKay, H Anderson, D Sally, P Kerback, J Pomatto, K Mullin, V Hardy, A Gucciardo, K Chatman, L Provenzano
Student Members Present: I Gutierrez, C Jansen, H Altpeter, A May, D Hahn, D Sonnefeldt
Meeting in Auditorium Foyer began at 7:53am
1. Michelle led the introductions with our favorite smell
2. Nathan reviewed procedures for new and returning members
3. Michelle reviewed the filters and asked the group if we should create a subcommittee to do the grammatical, syntactical, and formatting operations on the section of the handbook to be considered next. The idea was adopted by unanimous consent. Mr. Sally and Mr. Cunningham volunteered as faculty members. Analiza May and Destany Hahn are the student members.
4. The current written rules regarding consequences were given to all present. In the same document Mark included what is present practice in the area and then answered questions about content after giving the group time to read.
5. Mark explained that current practice with regard to the assignment of behavioral consequences for unexcused absences was not consistent with current practice in that area. In general, current practice is not to suspend students for violations of the attendance rules and to explore and apply some alternative consequences when detentions do not seem to effect change in attendance. A significant discussion began about potential change along a number of different avenues.
6. The balance of the period (20 minutes) was discussion around the topic. The October meeting will pick up where the discussions ended. Notes from the groups were collected and will be collated.
7. Adjournment was at 8:40 am.